Cabinet approves security measures from Joseph Kinyua-led team
The Cabinet has approved security measures announced by the Joseph Kinyua-led team on requirements for public gatherings, media reporting and social media conduct.
This follows concern that over the last month, Kenya has experienced growing political tensions that have exacerbated partisan divides and threatened peace, security and harmony.
“This fast-evolving situation threatens to derail the delivery of the administration’s transformative agenda for the Country; as well as jeopardiSe Kenya’s image and place within the community of nations, which has been recently uplifted by Kenya’s membership of the United Nations Security Council as a non-permanent member,” a statement from the Cabinet reads.
The prescriptions and directives as issued by the National Security Advisory Committee (NSAC) are thus to take effect immediately.
During the Thursday meeting that was held at State House, Nairobi, the Cabinet also approved establishment and immediate operationalisation of a multi –agency team on public order.
Members will be tasked to monitor, document and enforce compliance to the prescriptions and directives from the NSAC.
The team will comprise of representatives from:
- Ministry of Interior and Government of National Government
- Office of the Attorney-General and Department of Justice
- Ministry of ICT, Innovation & Youth Affairs
- National Intelligence Services
- National Police Service, comprising of one representative of Kenya Police Service, Administration Police Service and Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- National Cohesion and Integration Commission
- ICT Authority
- Communication Authority of Kenya
- National Security Advisory Committee (NSAC)
“Cabinet also noted that at a pivotal moment in Kenya’s recent history, and as our Nation is charting the course into its post-COVID future, no person would be allowed to hamper Kenya’s progress, unity and the equal enjoyment of fundamental rights and freedoms by all persons,” the statement concluded.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate